Existing Cost Reports?
If you already have been generating AWS Cost and Usage Reports, please integrate using the steps linked here: Integrate Pre-Existing Cost Report Bucket (3 mins).
Taloflow's AWS account will talk to your account through IAM Roles that limit what Tim has access to. Here are some things you should know about the Roles we require:
- Tim does not become a User within your AWS account.
- The Role is not authorized to add or modify any code.
- Tim's event listener is registered to yours so we can listen to specific events.
- The Role itself is an identity that has the required permissions.
- The Role is not authorized to read data or even the log files.
- The Role is not authorized to perform actions
- An AWS Account with access to billing. Your AWS administrator can change the permissions to give you access with the following steps:
1. Log into the IAM Console (https://console.aws.amazon.com/iam/home) 2. Go to **Users** in the left navigation panel, 3. Click on the individual's account 4. In the next screen, select the tab **Attach existing policies directly** 5. Search or filter for **Billing** permissions 6. Select and apply it to the individual's account
- Sign in to the AWS Management Console and open the Billing and Cost Management console.
- In the navigation pane to the left, choose Cost & Usage Reports under Cost Management in the left panel, and click Create report.
- Give your Cost Report a name. For example,
Please note down the Name of the Cost Report
- Make sure that both Include resource IDs and Data refresh settings are checked, and click Next
- Under Delivery options, press Configure and create a new bucket and give it whatever name you like.
Please note down the Name AND the Region of the S3 Bucket
- If you get a prompt to add a Default Bucket Policy, accept it.
Please ensure you create a top level bucket
Please ensure that you create a new top level bucket for your Cost Reports and that you don't nest a Cost Reports Folder inside another existing folder in your S3 Bucket.
- Create a Report Path Prefix, for example
Please note down the Report Path Prefix
- Please ensure that you've selected Hourly, GZIP and Create New Report Version in the options, then click Next, then click Review and Complete.
- Go to the S3 Console.
- Click on the bucket with the Cost Report. (the one you created in Step 1)
- Click Permissions, and then Bucket Policy, and click Delete Policy.
Recommended: Assign a Lifecycle Policy of 5 days to your S3 Bucket
By default, Taloflow stores your past reports so that less recent reports (more than 5 days old) do not increase your bill for S3.
- Click on this link to run the CloudFormation Template on your account
Make sure that you are running the CloudFormation template in US East-1 (N. Virginia) or it will not run correctly.
- In the console, keep both pre-selected options as Template is ready, and Amazon S3 URL, and leave the URL as is, then click Next
- Recall the names of the S3 Bucket with the Cost Report, the AWS Region where the S3 Bucket is located, and the Report Name and Report Prefix for the Cost Report you just created.
- For the External ID Field, you can use pretty much any External ID, (e.g.: tim-ext-id).
Use Prefix only in the Prefix field
Please make sure that you only use the Prefix in the Prefix field (e.g.: main). Not the Prefix + Report Name (e.g.: main/costreport)
The External ID cannot have the following characters: $, #
- Click Next
- On the following page scroll down and click Next again
- On the following page scroll down, acknowledge that this template might create IAM resources by checking the box, then click Create Stack.
- In the next page, you will have to wait 2-3 minutes for the stack to get created. You can click the refresh icon in the Console.
- When all is green, you are ready to go save for one more optional step.
For every Sub Account that you have within the Master Account, please run the following CloudFormation Stack in each of them so that we can gather tags and other important telemetry from them: link to run the CloudFormation Template on your Sub Account(s) one at a time. Please note this is a different stack than mentioned in Integrate Pre-Existing Cost Report Bucket (3 mins).
Updated 2 months ago